[Numpy-discussion] Questions about organization (fwd)

Houman G HoumanG at ActiveState.com
Mon Jan 22 12:18:47 CST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 12:36:37PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> FYI about what? I'm not sure that I see the point here.
>
> Are you trying to say that ActiveState can provide tools for packaging?
> Maybe that we can get NumPy packaged for people?

This one, I believe. HoumanG has been working on PyPM (like PPM for Python)
for which he is creating appropriate setup.py scripts for packages such as
NumPy.

I wrote a new setup.py script for NumPy a week ago. The script I wrote
builds the RANLIB and the LALITE as part of the core NumPy; and the binary
distribution of NumPy built with my script also installs the RANLIB and
LALITE.
If the question is that Distutils supports a source tree structure like the
one NumPy has, the question is no. However, I made a patch (for Distutils)
and submitted to SourceForge which allows the source tree to be spread in
more than one directory. A copy of the patch is in the attachment.

Houman