[Numpy-discussion] Questions about organization

John J. Lee phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Sun Jan 21 17:51:44 CST 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Tony Seward wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, John J. Lee wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Even './setup_all.py build' doen't work for
> FFT, LALITE, RANLIB and RNG.
>
> Right now one has to have already installed the headers from the core of
> Numeric in order to even build these modules.  The sequence is thus
>
> 1) get source
> 2) install the core
> 3) build or install the submodules

Ah, sorry, I didn't read you post properly.  I thought you were just
having trouble compiling something you didn't really need, and wanted to
avoid compiling it.

You may already know this, but this has been discussed on the
distutils-sig mailing list (and maybe this one too) just recently.  I
don't recall what conclusions they came to, if any - things are held up at
the moment because Greg Ward just moved house and is effectively off-line.
I guess when he appears again he'll be swamped, so don't hold your breath
for changes in distutils itself.

John