[Numpy-discussion] undefined symbols when importing lapack

David H. Marimont marimont at nxpdata.com
Wed Jun 6 12:49:28 CDT 2001

I just compiled and installed Numeric 20.1.0b1 using lapack
and blas libraries.  When I tried to import lapack_lite (after
importing Numeric), I got this error:

  Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdiimoprimporn>", line 1, in ?
  ImportError: /usr/lib/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: e_wsfe

I'm using Python 2.1 on RH 7.1.

I've had this problem before and have even seen postings to this list
about related problems.  But the solutions posted were over my head, so I've
never been able to use the python interface to the lapack and blas libraries,
which I really need. Does anyone have any advice, preferably pitched to
someone who has limited compilation skills (i.e. at the the "configure,
make, make install" level)?

Thanks.

  David Marimont