[Numpy-discussion] Re-implementation of Python Numerical arrays (Numeric) available for download

Paul Barrett Barrett at stsci.edu
Mon Nov 19 14:12:02 CST 2001

Perry Greenfield wrote:

> An early beta version is available on sourceforge as the
> package Numarray (http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/)
>
> Information on the goals, changes in user interface, open issues,
> and design can be found at http://aten.stsci.edu/numarray

  6) Should array properties be accessible as public attributes
    instead of through accessor methods?

    We don't currently allow public array attributes to make
    the Python code simpler and faster (otherwise we will
    be forced to use __setattr__ and such). This results in
    incompatibilty with previous code that uses such attributes.

I prefer the use of public attributes over accessor methods.

--
Paul Barrett, PhD      Space Telescope Science Institute
Phone: 410-338-4475    ESS/Science Software Group