[Numpy-discussion] Total least squares problem

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Nov 14 06:13:07 CST 2001

Konrad Hinsen schrieb:

> Nils Wagner <nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de> writes:
>
> > There is a difference between classical least squares (Numpy)
> > and TLS (total least squares).
>
> Algorithmically speaking it is even a very different problem. I'd say
> the only reasonable (i.e. efficient) solution for NumPy is to
> implement the TLS algorithm in a C subroutine calling LAPACK routines
> for SVD etc.
>
> Konrad.
> --
There are two Fortran implementations of the TLS algorithm already
available via
http://www.netlib.org/vanhuffel/
.
Moreover there is a tool called f2py that generates Python C/API modules
for wrapping Fortran 77/90/95 codes to Python.

Unfortunately I am not very familar with this tool.

Therefore I need some advice for this.

Thanks in advance

 Nils