[Numpy-discussion] Meta: too many numerical libraries doing the same thing?

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Mon Nov 26 12:52:02 CST 2001

> We had some meetings to discuss using blitz and the truth is that as
> wrapped by Python there is not much to gain. The efficiency of blitz
> comes up when you do an array expression in C++. Then x = y + z + w + a
> + b gets compiled into one loop with no temporary objects created. But

That could still be of interest to extension module writers. And it
seems conceivable to write some limited Python-C compiler for
numerical expressions that generates extension modules, although this
is more than a weekend project.

Still, I agree that what most people care about is the speed of NumPy
operations. Some lazy evaluation scheme might be more promising to
eliminate the creation of intermediate objects, but that isn't exactly
trivial either...

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr