[Numpy-discussion] Caution -- // not standard

Andrew P. Lentvorski bsder at mail.allcaps.org
Mon Jul 8 12:03:09 CDT 2002

Actually, // is standard C99 released December 1, 1999 as
ISO/IEC 9899:1999.

It also has support for variable length arrays, a complex number type and
a bunch of *portable* stuff for getting at numerical information (limits,
floating-point environment) rather than nasty compiler specific hacks.
( See: http://std.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/newinc9x.htm )

Many of these extensions are specifically for the numerical community.

I would recommend taking up the issue of non-standards compliance with
your compiler vendor.

-a