[Numpy-discussion] RE: default axis for numarray

Paul F Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Mon Jun 10 20:57:01 CDT 2002

I guess the argument for uniformity is pretty persuasive after all. (I
know, I don't fit in on the Net, you can change my mind). Actually,
don't we have a quick and dirty out here? Suppose we make the more
uniform choice for Numarray, and then make a new module, say
NumericCompatibility, which defines aliases to everything in Numarray
that is the same as Numeric and then for the rest defines functions with
the same names but the Numeric defaults, implemented by calling the ones
in Numarray.

Then changing "import Numeric" to "import NumericCompatibility as
Numeric" ought to be enough to get someone working or close to working
again.

Someone posted something about "retrofitting" stuff from Numarray to
Numeric. I cannot say strongly enough that I oppose this. Numeric itself
must be frozen asap and eliminated eventually or there is no point to
having developed a replacement that is easier to expand and maintain. We
would have just doubled our workload for nothing.