[Numpy-discussion] Adding a flag to allow integer array access and masking

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Mar 7 01:22:04 CST 2002

Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> writes:

> Well, I affirm that this is one of the drawbacks of Numeric as compared
> with other array-oriented environments.  We definitely need a way to index
> an array using integers and masks.
>
> I guess if nobody else feels this way, then I'm alone in my discomfort.

No, I basically agree, I just don't have that need immediately and
therefore am less motivated to work on it.

My preferred solution would be to use special objects (in the spirit
of the slice object) for special indexing methods, rather than special
cases of existing objects. The advantage is that any number of those
can be added over time as the need arises, and there is never a risk
of changing the meaning of existing code.

However, I do think that this should be thought out and discussed
carefully, but unfortunately I won't be able to help much due to lack
of time.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr