[Numpy-discussion] Numerical Python and LAPACK on 64-bit machines

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Wed Mar 6 03:10:05 CST 2002

Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> writes:

> Having wrapped a lot of Fortran codes to Python, I agree, that Numerical
> Python should use 'int', instead of, 'long'. Though I have little
> influence to make this change to happen in Numeric but just agreeing with
> you.

Even without the Fortran aspect, I'd prefer 'int' for integer arrays
in general. There may be applications that need 64-bit integers, but
any portable application wouldn't rely on them anyway. 64-bit arrays
take up more memory, and when you pickle them you cannot read those
files on 32-bit machines.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr