[Numpy-discussion] adding a .M attribute to the array.

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Mar 7 03:23:02 CST 2002

> I believe the correct solution is a major upgrade to Matrix.py along the
> lines of what is done in MA; that is, to craft an object that uses
> Numeric for its implementation but which defines all its own operators
> in a manner that is semantically sensible for the type of object it is.

That is exactly my idea as well. However, from a quick glance at MA,
it seems that this solution could suffer from performance problems
when done in Python. What are the real-life experiences with MA in
that respect?

I suppose the new type inheritance mechanisms in Python 2.2 could help
to make this more efficient, but I haven't used them for anything yet.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr