[Numpy-discussion] big picture? One proposal

Andrew P. Lentvorski bsder at allcaps.org
Fri Mar 8 15:36:02 CST 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> This is how I interpret the raised exception as behind the scenes matrix
> and array are the same (in the sense of data representation).

Matricies can have many different storage formats.  Sparse, Banded, Dense,
Triangular, etc.  Arrays and Matricies are the same behind the scenes *for
the moment*.  For examples of matrix storage formats, check the BLAST
Technical Forum documentation at netlib.  Unfortunately, www.netlib.org
appears to be down right now.

Locking the assumption that Matrix and Array are "the same behind the
scenes" into the main Python specification is not a good idea.

-a