[Numpy-discussion] Plans for RandomArray support in numarray?

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Mar 14 06:30:16 CST 2002

> Are there any plans for supporting RandomArray in numarray type arrays?
>
> Amund
> http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~amundt/

Yes, we plan to support that and some version of the other existing
libraries available (e.g. linear algebra, fft...).

Now that we are done (mostly anyway) with the changes needed to
add safety checks to numarray, our short-term plans are:

1) Further changes to make numarray more backward compatible.
   (This is fairly minor work and probably involves less than
   a weeks work).

2) Documenting the C-API by:
   a) Adding the appropriate chapters to the numarray manual.
   b) providing examples of various kinds of C functions, e.g.,
      i) How to add a ufunc.
      ii) how to add simple C functions...
      iii) how to add more sophisticated C functions...
      iv) (possibly) how to use SWIG with numarray

3) To help us do 2) better, add some existing Numeric libraries.
   In particular:
   a) FFT
   b) RandomArray
   c) linear algebra
   Probably in that order.

Items 2) or 3) may or may not require new releases of numarray.
If no basic changes to numarray are required. We probably will
try to release the work piecemeal (e.g., updates to the manual,
examples, or libraries as add-ons). Hopefully, you will begin to
see results here starting in 2 to 4 weeks.

Perry