[Numpy-discussion] Ann: ARPACK bindings to Numeric Python

José Fonseca j_r_fonseca at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 24 08:53:04 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 01:33:08PM +0000, José Fonseca wrote:
> The source is available at
> http://jrfonseca.dyndns.org/work/phd/python/modules/arpack/dist/arpack-1.0.tar.bz2
> . The ARPACK library is not included and must be obtained and compiled
> seperately, and setup.py must be modified to reflect your system
> BLAS/LAPACK library.

Two header files, arpack.h and arpackmodule.h, were missing from the
above package. This has been corrected now. Thanks to Greg Whittier for
pointing that out.

A little more detailed install instructions are were also added.

I'm also considering where I should bundle or not ARPACK in the source
package, and then use scipy_distutils to compile the fortran source
files. This would make much easier to install, but I'm personally
against statically link libraries, as they inevitable lead to code
duplication in memory.  For example, while I don't manage to build a
shared version, the ATLAS and LAPACK libraries appear both triplicated
in on my programs - from Numeric, ARPACK and UMFPACK. This leads to a
huge code bloat and a misuse of the processor code cache resulting in a
lower performance.

What is the opinion of the other subscribers regarding this?

José Fonseca