[Numpy-discussion] rank-0 arrays

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Fri Sep 13 13:46:08 CDT 2002

> Hi Perry,
>
> I like Travis's proposal the best of those I've seen so far, but I don't
> recall the details of Eric's problem. Could you refresh us as to
> the basics
> of it?.
>
> -tim

Rather than put keystrokes on Eric's fingertips :-) I think it would
be best if he (or Paul Dubois, who had similar concerns) gave
some examples. But I believe it concerned fairly generic
Numeric routines that had expressions that might or might not
result in scalars. Testing for both cases resulted in
extra code (Paul said that MA had to deal with this a lot) and
that having to deal with this made the code error prone.

But I'd rather they explained it since they have very specific
experience with this issue. Perhaps they can give a couple
common examples.

Perry