[Numpy-discussion] PyMatrix: Announcement

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Dec 11 13:03:02 CST 2003

> There has been little clamour for adding this complication to the syntax
> over the last three plus years.

This is certainly true.

> I suggest that PyMatrix shows that the desired results can be achieved,
> with few additional key strokes and without adding to the Python
> character set.
>
> Colin W

I guess I will wait and see. The worry I have is that when people attempt
to use a PyMatrix where a numarray is expected (and the same issue
would be true for Numeric) that the behavior of expressions may
cause some confusion (i.e., since matrix multiplies may happen
instead of element-wise operations). This most likely will result in
some visible exception (e.g., incompatible shapes) but may not.
If people never mix the two, it won't be a problem; or if they are
careful to convert before doing so.

Perry