[Psyco-devel] RE: [Numpy-discussion] Interesting Psyco/Numeric/Numarray comparison

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 7 11:06:05 CST 2003

Francesc Alted wrote:

> For this task may be is worth to consider using Pyrex
> (http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/) for that. From the
> website:
>
> """Pyrex lets you write code that mixes Python and C data types any way you
> want, and compiles it into a C extension for Python."""

I've been keeping my eye on Pyrex for a while now, but have not yet had
enough of a use for it to justify tryin git out. I do ahve a question
that I ahve not foudn the answer to on the web, which could make a big
difference to how useful it is to me:

Is Pyrex aware of Numeric Arrays?

I imagine it could use them just fine, using the generic Python sequence
get item stuff, but that would be a whole lot lower performance than if
it understood the Numeric API and could access the data array directly.
Also, how does it deal with multiple dimension indexing ( array[3,6,2] )
which the standard python sequence types do not support?

As I think about this, I think your suggestion is fabulous. Pyrex (or a
Pyrex-like) language would be a fabulous way to write code for NumArray,
if it really made use of the NumArray API.

Thanks for your input,

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov