[Numpy-discussion] array()? (Bug?)

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Feb 10 14:30:09 CST 2003

Magnus Lie Hetland wrote:

>Is this a bug, or is there a motivation behind it?

>IOW: Why is array callable without any arguments when it doesn't
>return anything? E.g. if I call array(**kwds) with some dictionary,
>I'd expect an exception (since a default array isn't really possible)
>if kwds were empty... Or?
>
>(I'm using 0.4 -- for some reason I can't get the cvs version to
>compile on Solaris.)

It looks like a bug which resulted from Numeric compatability additions.
   For backwards compatability with Numeric,  I added the "sequence"
keyword as a synonym for the numarray "buffer" keyword.     We're in the
process of getting rid of (deprecating) "buffer".  When it's gone (a
couple releases),  we can remove the default parameter to sequence and
the bug.

Todd