[Numpy-discussion] Optionally using Numeric in another compiled extension package.

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Wed Jan 15 12:59:04 CST 2003

A Dimecres 15 Gener 2003 21:54, Todd Miller va escriure:
> >I think you can use the numarray High-Level C API to overcome these
> >dificulties.
>
> But doesn't using the numarray  C-API require a level of coupling
> (direct knowledge of numarray during compilation) that Chris is trying
> to avoid?

Ooops!, you are right.

Perhaps this kind of scenario (accessing Numeric and numarray arrays from C)
would be more and more common as people is getting more aware of the
numarray capabilities and want to integrate it in their extensions. That
reinforces me in the belief that having a small core with the "glue"
functionality between numarray objects and 3rd party extensions in C (or
SWIG, Pyrex or whatever) can be a good thing (until numarray is in the
Standard Library).

That way, people interested in supporting numarray objects in their
extensions has only to install this small core (or even include it as part
of the extension).

Well, speaking as non-interested and impartial person ;-)

--
Francesc Alted