FW: [Numpy-discussion] typecodes in numarray

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Mon Jan 27 11:23:01 CST 2003

A Dilluns 27 Gener 2003 17:28, Todd Miller va escriure:
> >So, as numarray has to work with previous python versions, there is no
> > point to care about that.
>
> In truth,   numarray-0.4 and up already require Python-2.2 and up.

Oh!, I didn't know that. In such a case, I think it's worth to consider the
possibility to define records as classes descendants from metaclasses. But,
of course, you have the ultimate decision.

> >>I'm thinking the general format for this may be converting N-tuples of
> >>types and ints into N arrays of types and ints.  And vice versa.
> >>It's obvious how this works with numarray types.  I think the chararray
> >>types need work and need to be mapped into the same integer enumeration
> >>as the numeric types in a non-overlapping way.
> >
> >I can't catch your point here. Why there should be a problem with
> >chararrays?.
>
> What I was trying to see is that chararray types are not as well
> designed as the numarray types,  nor are they reflected in the C-API.

I see. Well, is it really desirable such a unification? CharArray entities
come from a module and NumArray from another one, and that should be ok. Why
bother in creating a unified API or integer enumeration?. I think this
should be not a big drawback for C-extension crafters (although, to say the
truth, that would be very elegant if you manage to do that, but maybe it is
not worth the effort, I don't know).

--
Francesc Alted