[Numpy-discussion] Object arrays for numarray / What do you use Numeric object arrays for?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 16 09:30:18 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 05:26, Konrad Hinsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2003 21:34, Todd Miller wrote:
> > I am adding arrays of Python objects to numarray and so I am curious
> > about the uses people have found for Numeric's object arrays.  If you
> > have found Numeric's object arrays useful,  please tell us about what
> > you used them for so that we can make certain that numarray can satisfy
> > the same need.
>
> I have used them several times in order to be able to use array operations on
> number-like objects, e.g. multiple precision numbers, quaternions, automatic
> derivatives, polynomials, etc.

OK.  Right now the prototype supports array structural operations
(indexing, slicing, array indexing, copies, views, transpose...) and
element-wise operator application (so when you add two object arrays,
the corresponding objects are added using the number protocol).

Support for universal functions (calling numarray.add(a,b) rather than
a+b) and the C-API for object arrays is still missing.  Did these matter
to your application of object arrays?

--
Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>