[Numpy-discussion] Object arrays for numarray / What do you use Numeric object arrays for?

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jul 16 18:14:06 CDT 2003

>>>>> "Todd" == Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu> writes:

Todd> I think however that memory mapping sequences or arbitrary
Todd> Python objects isn't going to happen in numarray any time soon;
Todd> it sounds too much like object persistence.

It is used to minimize the cost of huge datasets.

>> I know that is a big ask! We have an extension module which stores
>> variable length blobs in a single memory-mapped file which might be
>> useful - the code could be made available to the numarray project,
>> I think.

Todd> I don't understand the difference between your module and
Todd> Python's mmap.

The code could use probably the Python mmap module.  It would be
difficult because all access to the Python mmap object is via Python.

A CObject exported API in the Python mmap module would be very useful.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au