[Numpy-discussion] Use of fromfile

Cliff Martin camartin at snet.net
Tue Jun 24 16:06:01 CDT 2003

Dear Group,

I've just started to use numarray as I have an imaging program I want to
port.  I noticed in the differences document that one can read in data
using fromfile into an array.  This is a great savings over using the
standard , string to integer floats.  For some strange reason I can't
get it to work correctly with my interferometer file (512,512) array. So
I made up a small set of data in a file.(Attached test.txt).

The code I used was simple,

inp = open('c:/transfer/test.txt','r')
y=fromfile(inp,Int32,[4,4])

with the following error message(s)

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\numarray\numarray.py", line 380,
in fromfile
    raise ValueError(
ValueError: Not enough bytes left in file for specified shape and type

Well I thought maybe Int32 is not the correct specification so I tried
Int16 and Int8. These both worked but the numbers read in were wrong.
 So what am I not understanding here?

Thanks

Cliff Martin