[Numpy-discussion] numarray 0.5 -> python setup.py build fails

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue May 6 09:46:15 CDT 2003

Sebastian Haase wrote:

>Hi,
>I just tried this :
>haase at baboon:~/numarray-0.5: python2.2 setup.py build --gencode
><snip>
>
>creating /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/numarray
>error: could not create '/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/numarray':
>Permission denied
>
>I guess this is the same bug I ran into a couple month ago - I already now a
>workaround ...
>
>- Sebastian

Here's a couple work arounds I use:

1) When trying to install to /usr/lib,  I first "su root".

2) When I don't like to or can't "su root",  I first install Python in
my home directory using: "./configure --prefix=$HOME".  With a local
Python, site-packages is also local and writeable by default.

That said, setup.py has some kludges in it that need to be eliminated or
factored out.

Todd