[Numpy-discussion] numarray repackaging one more time...

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Wed May 14 00:25:10 CDT 2003

On Tue, 13 May 2003 18:13:31 -0400
"David M. Cooke" <cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 05:50:07PM -0400, Todd Miller wrote:
> > As has been mentioned before,  we're planning to repackage numarray as
> > a package rather than as a collection of modules.  We're soliciting
> > comments now because we only want to do this once.
> > Future 3rd party packages should locate themselves under the
> > numarray.addons sub-package:
> >
> > *               --> numarray.addons.*
>
> What's the rationale for having a separate place for third-party
> packages? Shouldn't they just install themselves as their own packages
> or modules? (i.e., in site-packages/)

I like the idea, because it would mean that I can release my PyQwt
plot package so that it can be build for Numeric and numarray
on the same system. It reduces the risk of calling 'PyQwt for numarray'
functions with 'Numeric arrays' as arguments and vice-versa (for me it
seems to work, but it scares me to death).

Gerard