[Numpy-discussion] numarray repackaging one more time...

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed May 14 04:55:09 CDT 2003

Francesc Alted wrote:

>A Dimecres 14 Maig 2003 09:24, Gerard Vermeulen va escriure:
>

>>I like the idea, because it would mean that I can release my PyQwt
>>plot package so that it can be build for Numeric and numarray
>>on the same system. It reduces the risk of calling 'PyQwt for numarray'
>>functions with 'Numeric arrays' as arguments and vice-versa (for me it
>>seems to work, but it scares me to death).
>>

>I think this is not necessary as you can always distinguish if the user is
>passing a numarray or Numeric object, like in:
>
>In [3]: a=Numeric.array([1,2])
>
>In [4]: b=numarray.array([1,2])
>
>In [5]: type(a)
>Out[5]: <type 'array'>
>
>In [6]: type(b)
>Out[6]: <class 'numarray.NumArray'>
>

>It's just a check before accessing the object.
>
>Cheers,

I think installing in numarray.addons (or not) is a package-by-package
decision.

Some packages might prefer to be independent.  That's fine.

Others might prefer (or require) dedicated versions, particularly those
packages which use compiled extensions.

For those instances where dedicated versions are necessary,
 numarray.addons is a recommendation to keep clear seperation between
core numarray (maintained and distributed by one group) and software
which has been layered on it (maintained and distributed by other groups).

Todd