[Numpy-discussion] Possible bug in scalar * array

Nadav Horesh nadavh at visionsense.com
Tue Oct 21 09:16:09 CDT 2003

As I underoustand the range checking (from the results --- not from the source code), it checks if the range of the scalar exceeds the range of the array elements type. Don't see any significant execution time penalty with that. However there might be a place for a flag-controlled behavior:
* State 1: stay with the current "saturated" over/underflow whatever the scalar is. This is consistent with what numarray does now with scalars in range.
* State 2: Raise exception as suggested.
* State 3: Use the normal wrap-around on integer overflow, thus make a*2 give the same results as a+a in the following example:

>>> a = array((100,200,128), type=UInt8)
>>> a+a
array([200, 144,   0], type=UInt8)
>>> a*2
array([200, 255, 255], type=UInt8)