[Numpy-discussion] Buglet in NA_set... functions

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Oct 27 07:47:36 CST 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 11:37, Edward C. Jones wrote:
> The source code for NA_set_Float has a "#if HAS_UINT64" while
> NA_set_Int64 doesn't. Neither function works for UInt64 input. It seems
> that the only difference between these two functions is the cast done to
> the input variable "v" when the function is called.

Currently, UInt64 is supported everywhere but under win32/MSVC.  So, on
the standard windows numarray installation,  Uint64 is not supported and
UInt64 arrays cannot be created.  Under these circumstances, the UInt64
paths you're referring to cannot be reached anyway.  Further,  since the
code in question compiles without warnings or errors,  I'd argue that it
*does* work for UInt64 inputs, although they're never going to appear. I
say this because there are indeed sections of numarray code that *don't*
compile without errors for MSVC, hence all UInt64 has been disabled for
MSVC.   Bottom line:  what you're talking about is indeed a little
inconsistent,  but  I don't think it's going to hurt us.