[Numpy-discussion] numarray and NaN ?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 23 15:04:06 CDT 2003

Perry Greenfield wrote:

> I don't recall if there was disagreement about this being useful,

probably not

> but perhaps there was disagreement that it should always do this.

absolutely, and I think there was a wide range of opinions about how
usefull (and or critical!) this is.

> numarray allows one to customize how errors are handled. You can
> choose:
>
> 1) to silently ignore all errors.
> 2) print a warning message (default)
> 3) raise an exception.
>
> One may separately set one of these three behaviors for each of
> the 4 ieee categories of floating point errors, namely
>
> 1) invalid results (i.e., NaNs)
> 2) divide by zeros (Infs)
> 3) overflows
> 4) underflows

Fabulous!!! You folks are wonderfull! I guess it's time to make the
switch to numarray...I've been waiting for a compelling reason!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov