[Numpy-discussion] take for character arrays?

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Wed Apr 14 22:14:06 CDT 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to extract subarrays of a character array using take(), but
getting mysterious errors, for example:

ValueError: Invalid destination array: partial indices require
contiguous non-byteswapped destination

I am thinking that perhaps this operation is not supported for
character arrays, and I should convert my character array to a numeric
array instead (the strings are all of length 1).

Advice, suggestions, enlightenment appreciated.

                                                          Faheem.