[Numpy-discussion] Building Numeric with a native blas ?

Mats Klingberg mklingberg at spray.se
Sun Aug 1 04:14:02 CDT 2004

I recently did this under Gentoo. It seems that the atlas package doesn't
build a complete lapack, which is necessary. Instead I emerged the newer
blas-atlas and lapack-atlas packages. These build a complete lapack library
with atlas optimizations. They are however masked with ~x86 so you have to
add the following to your /etc/portage/package.keywords:

app-sci/lapack-atlas ~x86
app-sci/blas-atlas ~x86
app-sci/blas-config ~x86
app-sci/lapack-config ~x86

blas-config and lapack-config are packages that are needed by the other ones.
They can be used to switch between reference lapack or atlas optimized
libraries (if you install lapack-reference and blas-reference)

For more information see Gentoo bug #30453

Hope this helps,
Mats