[Numpy-discussion] rebin (corrected)

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Aug 31 11:49:09 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 12:05, Tim Hochberg wrote:
> Russell E Owen wrote:
>
> > I personally have no strong opinion on averaging vs summing
>
> I really have no strong feelings since I have no use for rebinning at
> the moment. Back when I did, it would have been for rebinning data from
> particle detectors.

In the IRAF image tools, one gets summing by setting
"fluxconserve=yes".  The name of this option is nicely descriptive of
what an astronomer would mean by summing as opposed to averaging.

Many of the images I work with are ratio images;  for example, a solar
contrast map.  When I reshape a ratio image I want average, not sum.
So, I would have to say that I need to have both average and sum
available with an option to switch between them.

By the way, has anyone else read

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-data_query?bibcode=2004SoPh..219....3D&db_key=AST&link_type=ABSTRACT&high=400734345713289

Craig has implemented the algorithm described therein in PDL (Perl Data
Language, http://pdl.perl.org), and a Python based implementation would
be awfully nice.

Hope to see a few of you in Pasadena.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge