[Numpy-discussion] why numarray.inputarray?

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Mon Feb 9 17:45:20 CST 2004

I just noticed that the name asarray is considered obsolete and is to be
replaced with inputarray. Why is that? The name asarray has a pretty
clear connection with it's behaviour (return it's argument as an array),
while I can come up with no such connection for inputarray. The best I
can come up with is that it's often used on the inputs of functions to
coerce them to arrays, but that seems a pretty tenuous connection. Is
there a better reason? Am I just being obtuse?

-tim