[Numpy-discussion] why numarray.inputarray?

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 10 06:32:00 CST 2004

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> I just noticed that the name asarray is considered obsolete and is to
> be replaced with inputarray. Why is that? The name asarray has a
> pretty clear connection with it's behaviour (return it's argument as
> an array), while I can come up with no such connection for inputarray.
> The best I can come up with is that it's often used on the inputs of
> functions to coerce them to arrays, but that seems a pretty tenuous
> connection. Is there a better reason? Am I just being obtuse?
>
> -tim

I agree that the term asarray better describes the functionality.

One possible use would be to convert an instance of a sub-class of
NumArray into an instance of the class NumArray.  However, it doesn't do
that.

It would help if there were a clearer distinction between the functions
array and inputarray.  The former would appear to cast a wider net and,
among other things, include files.

I wonder whether there is a need for both array and input array,
wouldn't it be best to focus on the function with the more general utility?

Colin W.