[Numpy-discussion] numarray, BLAS, LAPACK and MacOS X

Andrea Riciputi ariciputi at pito.com
Thu Feb 26 00:28:11 CST 2004

Or you can install Numeric (and many others) via Fink without any
effort. Look at its home page
(<http://fink.sourceforge.net/index.php>), I'm sure you can find it
very interesting.

Cheers,
	Andrea.

On 25 Feb 2004, at 21:45, Luc Bourhis wrote:

> MacOS X (at least 10.2 and 10.3) comes with BLAS and LAPACK already
> installed. However the hooks in addons.py (i.e. setting the
> environment variable USE_LAPACK and then filling the lists lapack_libs
> and lapack_dirs) don't work because it will typically pass the
> arguments -llapack,  -lblas to the linker although Apple does not
> supply any liblapack.a or libblas.a. Instead Apple uses the standard
> MacOS X distribution scheme: a framework (vecLib is the name). So the
> correct way to compile numarray with the native blas and lapack on
> MacOS X is to fix the addons.py as follow:
>
>     Extension('numarray.linear_algebra.lapack_lite2',
>               sourcelist,
>               include_dirs = ["Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src",
> 'Include/numarray'],
>               extra_objects = ["-bundle", "-framework", "vecLib",]),
>
> I checked it worked (but the -bundle may not be necessary)
>
> HtH somebody,
> --
> Luc Bourhis
> Chemical Crystallography Laboratory
> University of Durham

---
Andrea Riciputi

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
   but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)