[Numpy-discussion] License.txt inclussion breaks McMillan's Installer.

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Jan 9 05:52:03 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 18:37, Tim Hochberg wrote:

> The way LICENSE.txt is included in the __init__ file for numarray breaks
> McMillan's installer (and probably py2exe as well, although I haven't
> checked that). The offending line is:
>
>     __LICENSE__ = open(_os.path.join(__path__[0],"LICENSE.txt")).read()
>

> The first problem is that the installer doesn't pick up the dependancy
> on LICENSE.txt. That's not a huge deal as it's relatively simple to add
> that to the list of dependancy's by hand.
>
> More serious is that the __path__ variable is bogus in an installer
> archive so that the reading of the license file fails, even if it's present.
>
> One solution is just include the license text directly instead of
> reading it from a separate file. This is simple and the license is short
> enough that this shouldn't clutter things too much. It's not like
> there's all that much in the __init__ file anyway <0.5 wink>.

I like this solution the best from the perspective of simplicity and
fool-proof-ness.  I had considered it before but rejected it as leading
to duplication of the license.  Now I realize I can just "put a symbolic
link" in LICENSE.txt and move the actual text of the license to
__init__.py as you suggest.

This is fixed in CVS now.

Todd