[Numpy-discussion] Status of Numeric

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Wed Jan 21 15:42:01 CST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:22:43PM -0700, Tim Hochberg wrote:

[snip]

> The second point is the relative speediness of Numeric at low array
> sizes is the result that nearly all of it is implemented in C, whereas
> much of Numarray is implemented in Python. This results in a larger
> overhead for Numarray, which is why it's slower for small arrays. As I
> understand it, the decision to base most of Numarray in Python was
> driven by maintainability; it wasn't an attempt to optimize large arrays
> at the expense of small ones.

Has the numarray team (or anyone else for that matter) looked at using
Pyrex[1] to implement any part of numarray? If not, then that's my next
free-time experiment (i.e. avoiding homework while still looking
productive at the office).

[1] http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg/python/Pyrex/

--
Robert Kern