[Numpy-discussion] the direction and pace of development

Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr. bsder at allcaps.org
Fri Jan 23 01:06:01 CST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Travis E. Oliphant wrote:

> What in the world does this mean?  SciPy is "mostly Windows"  Yes, there
> is a only a binary installer for windows available currently.  But, how
> does that make this statement true.
>
> For me SciPy has always been used almost exclusively on Linux.  In fact,
> the best plotting support for SciPy (in my mind) is xplt (pygist-based)
> and it works best on Linux.

I was referring to the installers, but I apparently did a thinko and
omitted the reference.  My apologies.

I did not mean to imply that SciPy runs only on Windows, especially since
I run it on FreeBSD.  My intent was to comment about Win32 having a "one
big lump" installer philosophy vs. the Linux "discrete packages"
philosophy and the impact on maintainability of each.  ie. the fact that
releases suck up so much energy because of the need to integrate large
chunks of code outside of SciPy itself.

-a