[Numpy-discussion] simple Numarray question

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Jan 26 08:58:13 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 11:38, Nancy Keuss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do I have to include in my Python file for Python to recognize Numarray
> functions? For instance, in a file called hello.py I try:
>
> a = arange(10)
> print a[1:5]
>
> and I get the error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python23\hello.py", line 3, in ?
>     a = arange(10)
> NameError: name 'arange' is not defined

There are a number of ways to import numarray (or any Python module),
but the way I recommend is this:

import numarray

a = numarray.arange(10)
print a[1:5]

If you're writing quick scripts that you're not worried about
maintaining, do this:

from numarray import *

a = arange(10)
print a[1:5]

If writing "numarray." is too tedious, but you still care about
maintenance, try something like this:

import numarray as _n

a  = _n.arange(10)
print a[1:5]