[Numpy-discussion] Numarray header PEP

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Thu Jul 1 09:06:24 CDT 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 11:33 pm, gerard.vermeulen at grenoble.cnrs.fr wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2004 17:54:19 -0400, Todd Miller wrote
>
> > So... you use the "meta" code to provide package specific ordinary
> > (not-macro-fied) functions to keep the different versions of the
> > Present() and isArray() macros from conflicting.
> >
> > It would be nice to have a standard approach for using the same
> > "extension enhancement code" for both numarray and Numeric.  The PEP
> > should really be expanded to provide an example of dual support for one
> > complete and real function, guts and all, so people can see the process
> > end-to-end;  Something like a simple arrayprint.  That process needs
> > to be refined to remove as much tedium and duplication of effort as
> > possible.  The idea is to make it as close to providing one
> > implementation to support both array packages as possible.  I think it's
> > important to illustrate how to partition the extension module into
> > separate compilation units which correctly navigate the dual
> > implementation mine field in the easiest possible way.
> >
> > It would also be nice to add some logic to the meta-functions so that
> > which array package gets used is configurable.  We did something like
> > that for the matplotlib plotting software at the Python level with
> > the "numerix" layer, an idea I think we copied from Chaco.  The kind
> > of dispatch I think might be good to support configurability looks like
> > this:
> >
> > PyObject *
> > whatsThis(PyObject *dummy, PyObject *args)
> > {
> >     PyObject *result, *what = NULL;
> >     if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O", &what))
> >       return 0;
> >     switch(PyArray_Which(what)) {
> >       USE_NUMERIC:
> >          result = Numeric_whatsThis(what); break;
> >       USE_NUMARRAY:
> >          result = Numarray_whatsThis(what); break;
> >       USE_SEQUENCE:
> >          result = Sequence_whatsThis(what); break;
> >     }
> >     Py_INCREF(Py_None);
> >     return Py_None;
> > }
> >
> > In the above,  I'm picturing a separate .c file for Numeric_whatsThis
> > and for Numarray_whatsThis.  It would be nice to streamline that to one
> > .c and a process which somehow (simply) produces both functions.
> >
> > Or, ideally, the above would be done more like this:
> >
> > PyObject *
> > whatsThis(PyObject *dummy, PyObject *args)
> > {
> >     PyObject *result, *what = NULL;
> >     if (!PyArg_ParseTuple(args, "O", &what))
> >        return 0;
> >     switch(Numerix_Which(what)) {
> >        USE_NUMERIX:
> >           result = Numerix_whatsThis(what); break;
> >        USE_SEQUENCE:
> >           result = Sequence_whatsThis(what); break;
> >     }
> >     Py_INCREF(Py_None);
> >     return Py_None;
> > }
> >
> > Here, a common Numerix implementation supports both numarray and Numeric
> [...]

Hi all,
first, I would like to state that I don't understand much of this discussion;
so the only comment I wanted to make is that IF this where possible, to make
(C/C++) code that can live with both Numeric and numarray, then I think it
would be used more and more - think: transition phase !! (e.g. someone could
start making the FFTW part  of scipy numarray friendly without having to
switch everything at one [hint ;-)] )

These where just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Sebastian Haase