[Numpy-discussion] The value of a native Blas

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Thu Jul 29 12:57:00 CDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 11:57, Chris Barker wrote:

> One linked against the Apple Supplied vec-lib as the BLAS. (From Bob
> Ippolito's PackMan database (http://undefined.org/python/pimp/)

Well, I'm a sucker for trying to increase performance :-) .  AMD's Web
site recommends ATLAS as the best source for an Athlon-optimized BLAS.
I happen to have ATLAS installed, and the time for Chris Barker's test
went from 4.95 seconds to 0.91 seconds on a dual-Athlon MP 2200+ system.

To build numarray 1.0 with this setup, I had to modify addons.py a bit,
both to use LAPACK and ATLAS and because ATLAS was built here with the
Absoft Fortran compiler version 8.2 (I haven't tried g77).  Is anyone
interested in this?

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge