[Numpy-discussion] numarray-1.0 Bug Alert

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 14 04:38:09 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 05:36, Francesc Alted wrote:
> A Dimarts 13 Juliol 2004 19:41, Todd Miller va escriure:
> > The real fix for the bug appears to be to redefine the semantics of
> > numarray's PyArrayObject ->data pointer to include ->byteoffset,
> > altering the C-API.
>
> Oh well, I'm afraid that I'll be affected by that :(. Just to understand
> that fully, you mean that real data for an array will start in the future at
> narr->data, instead of narr->data+narr->byteoffset as it does now?

That is the current plan.  I was thinking developers could just replace
the new narr->data with (narr->data - narr->byteoffset) if needed.  I'm
assuming the planned changes will cost at most a few edits and package
redistribution, which I understand is still a major pain in the neck;
let me know if the cost is higher than that for some reason.

Regards,
Todd