[Numpy-discussion] lock in LinearAlgebra when embedding

Sebastien.deMentendeHorne at electrabel.com Sebastien.deMentendeHorne at electrabel.com
Tue Jun 22 05:44:04 CDT 2004

It looks like it is a similar problem. However, it is not yet resolved as
the patch is from may/2003 and I have this problem in the latest Numeric
version.

Moreover, my problem lies in the embedded/not embedded difference when
running the same script.
In fact, I notice it when using Python embedded in Excel via VBA. Testing
the same script from the command-line is OK while from Excel it hangs.
And the python/numeric I use is the "native windows" version (i.e. compiled
with VC++ and not cygwin/mingw). So, Numeric embedded works if lapack_lite
is compile with mingw32 but NOT with VC++.

Looks like this lapack interface is delicate...

Seb

-----Original Message-----
From: Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon [mailto:mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp]
Sent: mardi 22 juin 2004 14:21
To: Sebastien.deMentendeHorne at electrabel.com
Cc: numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Numpy-discussion] lock in LinearAlgebra when embedding

This may be related to patch 732520. The problem is that lapack_lite is not
compiled correctly by setup.py; one part of it should be compiled without
optimization, but is compiled with. On many platforms, this doesn't cause
any
problems, but on Cygwin (and therefore probably also on MinGW) the
eigenvalues
function hangs as a result. You can get more information by looking up the
patch
on sourceforge.

This issue has come up a couple of times. Maybe we should fix the
Numeric/numarray source code with this patch or something similar?

--Michiel, U Tokyo.