[Numpy-discussion] A couple more Numeric incompatibilitiesand a possible bug

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Sun Mar 28 03:41:04 CST 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-27 at 01:48, Gary Ruben wrote:
> Actually, this reproduces the problem:

> ObjectArray(1.0)
> ObjectArray(1)

I'm guessing,  but I think you would like to see:

>>> abs(-1.)
1.0
>>> abs(1)
1

If so,  this is a bug.  Two things are going on:

1)  numarray.objects redefines abs()

2) Internally, numarray has a concept of "rank-0" arrays which it uses
to represent scalars.  Apparently,  numarray.objects lacks the extra
code to filter rank-0 arrays out (convert back to scalars) as is done
with numerical arrays.

I logged this as a bug on Source Forge and it will be fixed for 1.0.

Regards,
Todd

--
Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>