[Numpy-discussion] Numeric to numarray experiences

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Oct 5 12:20:01 CDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:41, Raik Grünberg wrote:

> Our sysadmin noted that unlike Numeric, numarray is not using any external
> math libraries (like LAPACK) that have been speed-optimized for decades and
> are available in CPU-optimized variants (e.g. ATLAS). It's probably difficult
> to match this efficiency with any new code ...

This is a key point.  Have a look at addons.py in numarray, some
previous comments on this list, and build numarray with the line

env USE_LAPACK=1 python setup.py build

after editing addons.py appropriately.  You should see a major speed
improvement.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge