[Numpy-discussion] numarray and ATLAS

Francesc Alted falted at pytables.org
Mon Oct 18 01:30:01 CDT 2004

Hi Todd,

A Diumenge 17 Octubre 2004 03:50, Todd Miller va escriure:
> I don't think numarray dot() will pick up any boost at all from ATLAS
> because it's not written to do it.   Besides that,  there are two
> performance problems I know of with numarray's dot() which may dominate
> or dilute any ATLAS benefits:
>
> 1. dot() requires array creation.

Yes, but my guess is that for large arrays, this time should be negligible
compared with the multiplication time.

> 2. dot() requires array copies.

Mmm, you mean even for well-behaved arrays? Sorry, but I don't understand
why.

May I ask if there is any plan to complete a better integration of external
LAPACK libraries in numarray or this is considered low priority?

Never mind, I don't need this functionality right now. It's just that I'm
preparing a series of 'hands-on' sessions about Python and Scientific
Computing, and I was trying to understand the current advantages and
limitations of numarray compared with NumPy.

Cheers,

--
Francesc Alted