[Numpy-discussion] Re: possible bug with character arrays and shuffle

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Sun Sep 5 19:33:01 CDT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 02:19:08 +0000 (UTC), Faheem Mitha
<faheem at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> Either I am doing something horribly wrong, or shuffle is badly
> broken, since it is supposed to "shuffle list x in place". I haven't
> checked shuffle carefully, but it seems to randomize for a bit Ok, and
> then after a while, it suddenly starts returning all the same
> characters.

Actually, on second thoughts, and since a character array is not a
list, I guess this is not a bug, at least not in numarray. Perhaps I
should report this to the people who maintain the random module, since
shuffle does not complain but returns the wrong answer?

Sorry for firing off the last message so hastily.

                                                           Faheem.