[Numpy-discussion] doc bug in numarray 1.1

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:01:26 CDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 14:25, Chris Barker wrote:
> Stephen Walton wrote:
>
> >>These libraries are specific to the commercial Absoft Fortran
> >>compiler.  If you change the lapack_libs assignment in addons.py to
> >>
> >>    lapack_libs = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas', 'g2c', 'm']
> >

> > And I'm a bit of an idiot.  This should be a permanent change;
>
> great. Do we need to submit a bug report, or is someone going to do this?

I already logged it on SF.

I was planning to have two lists of libraries, with Absoft commented out
this time around since it is a commercial compiler.  The second (active)
list would be the one for g77.

> By the way, if it is found that different library lists are needed for
> different systems, it would be nice to have a small selection of list of
> commented out options:
>

> if BUILTIN_BLAS_LAPACK:
>      sourcelist = [
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'lapack_litemodule.c'),
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'blas_lite.c'),
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'f2c_lite.c'),
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'zlapack_lite.c'),
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'dlapack_lite.c')
>          ]
>      lapack_libs = []
> else:
>      sourcelist = [
>          os.path.join('Packages/LinearAlgebra2/Src', 'lapack_litemodule.c'),
>          ]
>
>      # Set to list off libraries to link against.
>      # (only the basenames, e.g. 'lapack')
>      ## for atlas on linux:
>      lapack_libs = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas', 'm']
>      ## for absoft on linux:
>      #lapack_libs = ['lapack', 'f77blas', 'cblas', 'atlas',
> 'm','someotherlib']
>      ## for whatever on whatever:
>      #lapack_libs = ['a','different','list']
>

> Also:
> Shouldn't this be inside the "if" above ?

Yes.

> # Set to list directories to be searched for BLAS and LAPACK libraries
> # For absoft on Linux
> ##lapack_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib/atlas', '/opt/absoft/lib']
> # For atlas on Gentoo Linux
> lapack_dirs = []
>
> Though I suppose it doesn't hurt to search non-exisitant directories.

I think you were right earlier.

> By the way. I set the USE_LAPACK environment variable. Is there a way to
> pass it in as an option to setup.py instead? That seems a better way of
> keeping with the spirit of distutils.

I added --use_lapack,  as in 'python setup.py install --use_lapack'.

One thing I noticed was that I didn't appear to need cblas.  Comments?

We more or less crossed e-mails.  I saw your later comments about
eliminating Absoft library list altogether but don't think that is
necessary;  I think hints from other people's installations are useful
so unless there's something wrong with the Absoft list,  I think we
should leave it in, but with g77 as the default.

Regards,
Todd