[Numpy-discussion] random number facilities in numarray and main Python libs

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Thu Sep 30 19:49:05 CDT 2004

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, Bruce Southey wrote:

> Hi,
> The R project (http://www.r-project.org) provides a standalone GPL'ed Math
> library (buried in the src/nmath/standalone subdirectory of the R code). This
> includes random number generators for various distributions amongst other
> goodies. But I have not looked to see what approach that the actual uniform
> random generator uses (source comment says "A version of Marsaglia-MultiCarry").
> However, this library should be as least as good as and probably better than
> Ranlib that is currently being used
>
> I used SWIG to generate wrappers for most of the functions (except the voids).
> SWIG makes it very easy but I needed to create a SWIG include file because using
> the header alone did not work correctly. If anyone wants more information or
> files, let me know.

Sorry for the slow response. Yes, I would be interested in seeing your
work. I'd be particularly interested in learning how you interfact the
random number generator in python with the one in C.

Myself, I'd incline towards a more "manual" approach using the C Python
API or possibly the Boost.Python C++ library.

Perhaps you can make it publicly available by putting it on the web and
posting the url here?

Thanks.                                                    Faheem.