[Numpy-discussion] The array interface published

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Sun Apr 3 01:06:16 CST 2005

Hello all,

I've updated the numeric web site and given special prominence to the
array interface which I believe should be pushed.  Numeric 24.0 will
support it as will scipy.base (Numeric3).  I hope that numarray will
also support it in an upcoming release.

Please read through the interface and feel free to comment.  However,
unless there is a glaring problem, I'm more interested that you feel
free to start using the interface then that we debate it further.

Scott has expressed interest in implementing a very basic Python-only
implementation of an object exporting the interface.  I suggest he and
anyone else interested look at numarray for a starting point for a
Python implementation, and Numeric for a C implementation.

-Travis